Sunday, January 25, 2009

In God's Hands

There are times in one's life when you have to throw every bit of logic out the window and survive simply off faith. I need times like that in my life to kick me back into gear and remind me what it's all about-family, love and the gospel.

Family is a blessing beyond measure. My father's new blessing as first counselor in Washington's stake presidency, has brought our family together. Not just physically, but spiritually-I know that to be the pivotal point. For whatever reason we do the things we do, be it driving down just because God prompted us to, cook Sunday dinner Saturday night, or wake-up at 4:30 am and drive thru Utah weather-we all did it because of family. We came together in support of our family, supporting the gospel.

Love cannot give definition enough to the feeling it represents. When you can't contain your emotion, when the spirit has impressed your heart and mind, and when the tears are coming with a smile on your face-love is the only word we can express. However it is not enough. Hope, charity and love-three of the crucial laws to live by in our church. January 25, 2009 was a day for all three.

The gospel is what I want my life to revolve around. Today was a great supporting detail of why I believe what I believe, why I am who I am, and why my goals are what they are. Not for one minute today did my faith in our sure foundation ever waiver. Not one time did I ask was it worth it. Not one time did I feel today to be a wasted, rushed or awkward trip. All one has to do is ask God in sincere faith why and he'll tell you why and then there is no reason to doubt.

The Primary Choir was a great inspiration to me. How easy it is to forget those everyday lessons learned in Primary. As I listened to them sing, "If The Savior Stood Beside Me" I was reminded of the earliest step of righteousness. The easiest and most instilled qualities that are expected not only of our youth, but should be daily habits for us adults.

"If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?"

The meeting of the Washington Stake was a humbling, educating meeting. We heard from some of the church's greatest men and women. And as Elder Holland reminded us, "this meeting is not about the new or old stake presidency, this meeting is not about me or the other brethren on the stand, it is about Washington. We are all on a team, just like a track team, and today is President Ellsworth's turn to run the quarter mile. Down the road it will be another's turn to run."

"Yea, humble yourselves, and continue in prayer unto him...For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."
-- Alma 34:19, 32

No comments: